Tag : 20th century

88 St James's Street
Sep 24th, 2012 | | Commercial premises | Portfolio | No Comments

88 St James’s Street

No. 88 St James’s Street built for the Alliance Assurance Company in 1904-5, is amongst a small group of London buildings designed by Richard Norman Shaw (1831-1912) towards the end of his career, but at a time...

READ MORE »
Colour and Lighting - Gloss Colours
Dec 23rd, 2011 | | Aesthetics | Colour Ranges | No Comments

Colour and Lighting in Factories and Offices

In these days, when an ability in Interior Design is often seen to be no more than the selection of a completely impractical 'chalky paint' from a ‘Boutique’ paint supplier and an artfully placed pair of old...

READ MORE »
Scheme 4
Dec 23rd, 2011 | | Colour Ranges | 2 Comments

Ministry of Works Colour Schemes

MINISTRY OF WORKS COLOUR SCHEMES (Official Colour Card No. 1 1952)* This little aid to the decoration of Ministry of Works offices of the early 1950s really is little, measuring only 16.5cm x 6.5cm. However, as...

READ MORE »
BS Flat Finishes
Dec 2nd, 2011 | | Colour Ranges | History | No Comments

Colours for Flat Finishes for Wall Decoration

British Standard 1572: 1949 Colours for Flat Finishes for Wall Decoration was a range of paint colours designed for the Ministry of Works for the purpose of interior decoration. This range of 17 colours (two...

READ MORE »
Archrome C&R
Nov 5th, 2011 | | Colour Ranges | 4 Comments

Archrome (Munsell) Colour Range

Archrome (Munsell) Colour Card - with thanks to Colin Mitchell-Rose The end of the Second World War saw a number of ‘satellite’ new towns develop to the north and east of London – in Hertfordshire1 and Essex...

READ MORE »
Admiralty Lookout - Radley House Partnership
Oct 5th, 2011 | | Exterior | Government | Institutions | Portfolio | No Comments

Admiralty Lookout

Admiralty Lookout - marked The Admiralty Lookout and Port War Signal Station, located at the southern limit of the grounds of Dover Castle, is set hundreds of feet above sea-level on the edge of the White Cliffs of...

READ MORE »
Gas Lighting Column
Aug 19th, 2011 | | Exterior | Portfolio | 2 Comments

Covent Garden: Gas Lighting Columns

I was recently asked to examine the gas lighting columns in King Street, Covent Garden. It was thought that they had retained all their paint since their erection in 1910. Gas Lighting Coal-gas had been used...

READ MORE »
Bank of New York
Feb 13th, 2011 | | Commercial premises | 3 Comments

Former Bank of New York, London

The building was designed for Grace Brothers of New York, and completed in 1928. The drawings were prepared by James W.O'Connor, an American architect, who was assisted on site by a London surveyor. In 1963 the...

READ MORE »
Gravetye Manor
Jan 14th, 2011 | | Commercial premises | No Comments

Gravetye Manor

Gravetye Manor is an Elizabethan manor house that was built in 1598. It was rescued from decay in 1890 by William Robinson, who lived there until his death in 1935. In the late 1950s it was turned into a small...

READ MORE »
Patrick Baty selected colours and produced a specification for the Ambulatory at Mercers' Hall
Dec 12th, 2010 | | Clubs and Societies | No Comments

Mercers’ Hall

View of the Ambulatory before the work The Worshipful Company of Mercers is one of the Livery Companies of the City of London. It was incorporated under a Royal Charter in 1394. The Mercers' Company is based at...

READ MORE »
Page 2 of 6«12345»...Last »