Tag : Abercorn

76 Dean Street 1945
May 5th, 2014 | | Commercial premises | Portfolio | 1 Comment

76 Dean Street, Soho

Staircase wall paintings in 1945 76 Dean Street is recorded as having been built by Thomas Richmond ca.1730. The first occupant entered in the parish ratebooks was James Hamilton, 7th Earl of Abercorn,1 a Fellow of...

READ MORE »
15 St James's Square © Patrick Baty
Feb 6th, 2011 | | Private Houses | Residences | 1 Comment

Lichfield House, 15 St James’s Square

A house was built on the site by 1676. In April 1748 it was bought by Admiral Lord Anson from the Earl of Clarendon (who went on to purchase The Grove). In November 1751 Matthew Brettingham, senior, surveyed the...

READ MORE »
Bentley Priory - Front
Dec 9th, 2010 | | Institutions | Portfolio | No Comments

Bentley Priory

Bentley Priory was originally built in 1766 and was significantly extended in 1788, by Sir John Soane, for John Hamilton, 1st Marquess of Abercorn. As a result of his influence the Priory soon became a rendezvous...

READ MORE »