Author Archives: Patrick

Gwydr House
Nov 25th, 2010 | | Government | No Comments

Gwydyr House

The house was situated next to the old Chapel Royal at Whitehall Palace, and was so called after the son of Sir Peter Burrell, the first owner, who became the first Lord Gwydyr in the year 1796. In 1770 Sir Peter...

READ MORE »
Foreign Office
Nov 25th, 2010 | | Government | No Comments

The Foreign Office

The designs for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office date from 1861. Originally George Gilbert Scott, the architect, had produced a Gothic design, but this had been dismissed by Palmerston, the Prime Minister, as...

READ MORE »
10 Downing Street
Nov 25th, 2010 | | Government | 4 Comments

10 Downing Street

10 Downing Street in London is the official residence and office of the British Prime Minister. Number 10 was originally three houses. In 1732 King George II offered them to Sir Robert Walpole, who accepted...

READ MORE »
Dover House
Nov 25th, 2010 | | Government | No Comments

Dover House

The present Dover House was originally built for Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh (see also Uppark) by James Paine between 1755 and 1758. In December 1787, on payment of £12,600 to Sir Harry Fetherstonhaugh (Sir...

READ MORE »
Syon
Nov 25th, 2010 | | Private Houses | No Comments

Great Conservatory, Syon House

The 3rd Duke of Northumberland commissioned Charles Fowler to build a new conservatory in 1826, the first of its kind to be built out of gunmetal, Bath stone and glass.  I was commissioned to carry out the paint...

READ MORE »
Uppark
Nov 25th, 2010 | | National Trust | 1 Comment

Uppark

Uppark is a 17th-century house in South Harting, Petersfield, West Sussex, and a National Trust property. It was built for the first Lord Tankerville c.1690 and subsequently sold to Sir Matthew and Lady Sarah...

READ MORE »
Patrick Baty advised on the Estate colour for Dumfries House
Nov 25th, 2010 | | Conservation | Exterior | Portfolio | 3 Comments

Dumfries House, Ayrshire

Dumfries House is a Palladian country house in Ayrshire, Scotland. It is located within a large estate, around 3 km west of Cumnock. It was built in the 1750s by John Adam and Robert Adam for William Dalrymple, 5th...

READ MORE »
Greenbank
Nov 25th, 2010 | | National Trust for Scotland | No Comments

Greenbank, Glasgow

Greenbank - Front Greenbank House stands in Clarkston, on the outskirts of Glasgow. It was built by Robert Allason between 1764 and 1765.  Allason was a local man who had begun life as a baker, before setting up...

READ MORE »
Patrick Baty carried out an analysis of the paint in the house and on various external surfaces. He also carried out a colour survey to allow for paint matching.
Nov 25th, 2010 | | Conservation | National Trust for Scotland | Portfolio | 1 Comment

Newhailes, East Lothian

Newhailes was built in 1686 by James Smith, and originally known as Whitehill. The property was bought by Sir David Dalrymple, in 1709-10, who started the improvements which were continued by his son James. The...

READ MORE »
The Tower of London
Nov 25th, 2010 | | Museums | 2 Comments

The Tower of London

Her Majesty's Royal Palace and Fortress, more commonly known as the Tower of London, is a historic castle on the north bank of the River Thames in central London, England. It was founded soon after 1066.  Over the...

READ MORE »
Page 40 of 49« First...102030«3839404142»...Last »