Gravetye Manor is an Elizabethan manor house that was built in 1598. It was rescued from decay in 1890 by William Robinson, who lived there until his death in 1935. In the late 1950s it was turned into a small hotel. Now under new ownership it is undergoing a major refurbishment and is due to open in April 2011. The house is surrounded by 35 acres of historic gardens in the depths of Sussex, near East Grinstead.
Patrick was asked for advice on the treatment of a couple of magnificent Arts and Crafts ceilings, which had become much discoloured with age.
A short slideshow of the house can be seen here:
View Larger Map